During WWII, the German Army utilized a large number of half-tracks for various purposes.
The Sd.Kfz.250 series of half-tracks in particular featured armored personnel carrier, command, reconnaissance, munitions carrier,
and many other variants, which served on every combat front during the war. In North Africa, Field Marshal Erwin Rommel was well-known to ride into battle on his personal Sd.Kfz.250/3, which had the word "Greif" written prominently on its sides.
This vehicle that was named after a mythical creature will forever be associated with the famous legendary "Desert Fox."
The SdKfz 250 was a light armoured halftrack, very similar in appearance to the larger Hanomag-designed Sdkfz 251, and built by the DEMAG firm, for use by Nazi Germany in World War II. The 250 had 4 roadwheels and a cargo capacity of one ton.
Compared to U.S. halftracks, the SdKfz 250 series was less mobile, with unpowered front wheels. However, its tracks made it far more mobile than the armoured cars it replaced, and it was a popular vehicle. Most variants were open-topped and had a single access door in the rear.
Adopted in 1939 to supplement the standard halftrack, it was based on the 1938 Sd.Kfz. 10 prime mover and intended to carry an infantry section in company with an armoured car. Production delays meant the first 250 did not appear until mid 1941.